Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Visit our Master FAQ page for questions and answers from each department. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you still cannot find the answers you need. We are here to help!

Visiting Dallas International

May I visit Dallas International before I come as a student?

Certainly!  Check out our Visit Dallas International page to schedule a visit today!

Does Dallas International host a Campus Preview Day event?

Twice a year Dallas International University hosts a Campus Preview Day event for prospective students, usually in March and October. We are also happy to arrange a personalized visit for you as needed. Check out our Visit Dallas International University page for more information. To register for Campus Visit Day or to learn more contact our recruiting office at or by phone at 972-708-7343.

Application Status

Which application form should I use to apply to Dallas International?

It depends on what level of courses and how many courses you intend to take.  If you only want to take a few courses, Gateway admission allows you to take up to 9 hours of credit (2-3 classes–graduate OR undergraduate level) at Dallas International.  Graduate admission allows you to take an unlimited number of either undergraduate or graduate credit hours. Undergraduate admission allows you to take an unlimited number of undergraduate semester hours and a maximum of 6 semester hours of graduate-level study.

What is Gateway admission?

Gateway admission is a quick way to take a few courses at Dallas International.  All we typically need, apart from the application form, is a transcript. Gateway admission status limits you to no more than 9 semester hours of classes at Dallas International.

What is the difference in undergraduate admission and applying for the B.A. program?

With undergraduate admission status you can take any of our undergraduate courses for credit plus a limit of  6 hours of grad-level classes. If you are seeking  a B.A. from Dallas Int’l, you will apply for undergraduate admission status and submit one additional document–a faith/code of conduct statement.

How many hours of graduate credit can I take with undergraduate admission?

You can take a maximum of 6 semester hours of graduate-level courses at Dallas International in undergraduate admission status.  In order to take more than 6 semester hours of graduate-level courses at Dallas International, you will need to seek graduate admission status.

Do I need to apply for graduate status?

If you have a completed BA degree and intend to take more than 9 hours of graduate level classes at Dallas Int’l, you should apply for graduate admission status. Graduate admission status permits enrollment in any grad-level class, as well in as any undergraduate-level classes which may be prerequisite to your expected graduate level work.

What application do I use to audit a course?

You should use whichever application is most appropriate to your intended program of study. See Admission FAQ “Which application form should I use to apply to Dallas International?” Once you are admitted, you and your academic advisor can present a petition to audit for Dallas International approval.  For more information about auditing, visit our Registrar FAQ: “How to Audit a course?”

Which application do I fill out for an online course?

If you have never enrolled at Dallas International University (or GIAL) and plan to take only a couple of courses at Dallas Int’l (up to 9 semester hours of classes), you may apply for gateway admission status . View Gateway Admission requirements. For more information contact our admissions team: 972-708-7415 or

Application Requirements

What are the deadlines for applying and registering?

Visit our Admissions and Registration deadlines page for a complete list of deadlines.

When is my application due?

Applications are encouraged by February 1 for Fall terms and September 1 for Spring terms.  However, applications can be submitted up to six weeks before a course begins and a late fee of $50 will be incurred.  All required documents for completion of your application (this includes references, transcripts, etc.) must be received by 4 weeks before a course begins.

How much is the application fee?

An application fee is required for those seeking undergraduate or graduate admission status at Dallas International.

No application fee is required for those seeking Gateway admission status.

The application fee is $50 US dollars for US residents.

For international students (those requiring a visa) the application fee is $100 US dollars.

An additional fee of $50 is required for applications received fewer than 6 weeks before your intended start date.

When is the application fee due?

Your application fee payment should be made at or near the time you submit your application.  Gateway status does NOT require an application fee.

How do I pay my application fee?

  • online via PayPal by using the links on the undergraduate or graduate admission pages of the Dallas Int’l  website
  • via regular post–Send a check or money order made out to:
    Dallas International University Admissions
    7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
    Dallas, TX  75236

Your application remains inactive until we receive your application fee.

What is a statement of purpose?

This is a short statement indicating  1) why you chose to apply to Dallas Int’l, 2) what you hope to gain in your studies here, and 3) what you hope to do with the education you receive here. A typical statement of purpose is 2-3 paragraphs long. The Statement of Purpose form can be found on our website.

How many references do I need to provide?

You need to supply us with 3 references from non-family members using the form on our website. The form should be sent from each  reference directly to:
Dallas International University Admissions
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas TX  75236
or via email to The recommendation form can be found on our website.

Whom can I ask to do my letters of recommendation?

Non-family members only. If your performance in undergraduate studies was less than stellar, we recommend you choose at least two references who canvouch for your ability to succeed academically (e.g. former professors). Otherwise, you can choose people from your work history, church history, or long-time friends/acquaintances. The recommendation form can be found on our website.

What transcripts must I provide?

You need to provide official copies of all post-high school transcripts. If you have no more than 54 undergraduate credit hours, you should also provide your high school transcript as well as SAT, ACT, or CLT and AP scores. School records should come directly to Dallas Int’l from the school or testing agency or be in an unopened, signed and sealed envelope which you received directly from them.

What if one or more of my transcripts is from another country?

Academic records from outside the United States should be sent directly from the institution(s) that issued them to both Dallas International and to the Educational Credential Evaluators (, the school record evaluation service that Dallas International recommends, to verify U.S. equivalency of courses taken and grades and degrees received.  Dallas International requires a “course-by-course evaluation.”  If you go to ECE’s website, click “Apply Now,” select your country, and then “List of required documents,” you will see which school records to submit and how to submit them to ECE.

How good do my grades need to be to be considered for admission to Dallas International?

At least 2.75 cumulative GPA in your high school studies, if applying for undergraduate admission status with 0-54 undergraduate credit hours.

At least 2.00 cumulative GPA for all undergraduate classes taken, if you haven’t yet completed a BA degree.  or if you plan to take only undergraduate-level classes.

At least 2.80 cumulative GPA on 54 or more undergraduate credit hours in all undergraduate degrees or classes if you plan to take any graduate-level classes.

What requirements are specific to graduate status at Dallas International?

Completion of a B.A. with a 2.80 cumulative GPA or better and acceptable GRE scores (or a waiver – see “How can I waive the GRE?”).

How can I waive the GRE?

This requirement will automatically be waived with proof of a B.A. with a GPA of 3.30 or better from a regionally or professionally accredited institution, or a prior M.A. from a regionally or professionally accredited institution with a 3.00 GPA or better.

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

Dallas Int’l does not require GRE scores from someone seeking Undergraduate or Gateway admission status.

For Graduate admission status, you will need a completed a B.A. (or B.S.) degree. GRE will be required if:

  1. a) your undergraduate degree is from an institution that is neither professionally (ABHE or ATS) nor regionally accredited, or
  2. b) the cumulative grade point average on all your undergraduate work is less than 3.30 (4.00 scale), or
  3. c) you have completed a graduate degree at a professionally or regionally accredited institution, but the cumulative grade point average for that degree is less than 3.00.

What scores will I need on the GRE?

The minimum scores we are looking for are a 149 on the verbal portion and a 145 on the quantitative portion.  We DO want you to take the written portion as well but there is no minimum score requirement on that portion at present. GRE scores presented to Dallas International should not be more than 5 years old.

Do I have to know what classes I will take at the time I apply?

You do NOT have to know exactly what classes you will be taking, but the more you can tell us about your short and long-term goals on the application (intended major, intended entry semester, intended classes during first term), the more precisely we can advise you during the application process.

What do I need to do to participate in one of Dallas International’s joint programs with another institution?

Each program has different requirements. Check out our Undergraduate Cooperative Programs page or our Seminary Dual Degree and Cooperative Programs page for details about each program.

What are the acceptable transcript accreditations for admission to Dallas International?

International Students

How long does the application process for an international student require?

You should apply 6 months to a year before you intend to begin classes at Dallas International.

Who requires a student visa to study at Dallas International?

Anyone who is not a citizen of the U.S. and has not been granted temporary or permanent resident status in the U.S. will most likely require a student visa to enroll in classes at Dallas Int’l.

  • Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit. Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas. For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.
  • Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. Source:

What are the requirements for an international student application to Dallas International?

 A student intending to study at Dallas International must meet all the application requirements for the level of admission he/she will require to complete his/her intended program as well as the international application requirements. The three levels of admission at Dallas International are:

  • Gateway admission, which will allow up to 9 semester hours of study (2-3 classes) at Dallas International
  • Undergraduate admission, which will allow unlimited undergraduate coursework (up to and including a B.A. degree) as well as 6 graduate level semester hours at Dallas International.
  • Graduate admission, which will allow study in any undergraduate or graduate level coursework at Dallas International, up to and including an M.A. degree.

Of the many requirements for an international applicant to Dallas International, what should I do first?

First things first:  submit an online application form and pay the application fee as soon as you have decided to apply.

Then, because these next steps can take awhile to complete, you should: 1) make arrangements and submit recent TOEFL or IELTS scores; 2) submit all your academic credentials to Educational Credential Evaluators (; and 3) submit the same academic credentials to the International Student Center at Dallas International that you sent to ECE.

As soon as these are begun, you should work through the rest of the application requirements; submit a statement of purpose; request recommendations from 3 people who know you well; submit the Supplement to Application for an International Student; submit a Medical History form; submit a Statement of Finances (listing all expected sources and amounts of funding from each for your studies at Dallas International); submit a copy of the ID page of your passport.  All of these forms can be sent to Links to each of these forms can be found on the Admission Forms page of the Dallas International website:

Where do I send my overseas transcripts for evaluation?

Academic records from outside the United States should be sent to both Dallas Int’l and to the Educational Credential Evaluators (, the school record evaluation service that we recommends, to verify U.S. equivalency of courses taken and grades and degrees received. Dallas Int’l requires a “course-by-course evaluation.” If you go to ECE’s website, click “Apply Now,” select your country, and then “List of required documents,” you will see which school records to submit and how to submit them to ECE.

If successful completion of your secondary school included mandatory national testing, please also provide ECE with an official copy (per their instructions) of exams taken and scores received to be included in their evaluation report.

Non-native English speakers

What level of English proficiency is required to study at Dallas International?

Non-native speakers of English are required to present proof of their level of English proficiency as part of the application process. The preferred method of proof is submission of either TOEFL ( or IELTS ( test scores from a test date sometime in the past 2 years. Original score sheets should be sent directly from either ETS (in the case of TOEFL) or the British Council (in the case of IELTS) to Dallas Int’l. If it’s been awhile since you took the test, you can contact the appropriate agency and request that they send scores to Dallas Int’l (formerly “GIAL”). For TOEFL, use the “GIAL” school code 6605. For IELTS, please have the scores sent to Dallas International University Admissions, 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX  75236.

Post Admission

Am I required to attend orientation?

If you are new to Dallas Int’l, or resuming studies here after an absence of more than a few years, you should make plans to attend the orientation associated with the session that you will begin classes. Visit our Orientation page for more details.

Housing & Other Services

Does Dallas International have campus housing?

Dallas International does not own or operate its own housing but there are several on-campus housing options available to Dallas International students. Visit our Housing page for more information.

What off-campus housing options are available?

In addition to several one-story multiplexes operated by the SIL Housing office across there street, there are some rentals in the area owned  by International Linguistic Center (ILC) employees or related personnel which may have vacancies. For more information on SIL/ILC-related rentals visit our Housing page.

Other options: Our campus is located within minutes of several privately-run apartment complexes. Try a google search to locate more information about those possibilities.

Is housing included in the cost for Dallas International intensive courses?

No, it is not.  Intensive courses at Dallas International have a short on-campus component, but the housing costs are not included in the course tuition and fees. Visit our Housing page for information about short-term housing options.

What will my address be if I am an SIL Guest House resident?

Your mailing address will be:
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas, TX 75236

Whom do I contact about my disability?

Contact the Dean of Students at  In order for Dallas International to make reasonable accommodations, it is the responsibility of students with disabilities to establish their ADA status to the satisfaction of the Dean of Students. Request for accommodation must be presented in writing to the Dean of Students at least 30 days prior to registration.

Does Dallas International provide student health insurance?

No, we do not.  However, students are required to carry health insurance for themselves and their immediate families during their time of study at Dallas International and must show proof of coverage at the time of registration. For more information please visit our Student Health Insurance page.

Does Dallas International have a Student Health Center?

No, we do not own or operate our own health center, but our students and their families, by contract, have access to the SIL International Health clinic facilities during the time they are enrolled in classes on campus.

Does Dallas International provide child care?

Although Dallas International does not provide childcare, there is childcare available on-campus through SIL. Visit the childcare section of our Housing & Campus Services page for more information.

Will I need a car while I am at Dallas International?

Public transport in Dallas exists and is somewhat accessible (bus connection about ½ mile away), but it is not advisable to rely solely on this for getting places locally (i.e. church, grocery store, home off-campus, etc).  A bicycle, at least, is recommended. You can rent an automobile by the day through the SIL housing office ( or 972-708-7426). To investigate buying an automobile, contact for help and advice.