In 1974 Jan and her husband were living in the Philippines working with the Kankanaey minority language. As the work progressed, Jan served as a hymn workshop leader and consultant. She also served in things such as adult literacy and English immersion programs in Manila while raising their four children. Jan says of her time in the Philippines, “It was a huge privilege to get to live among the people and learn from them.” She remembers fondly the strong fellowship with believers.
Other Interesting Information:
Jan has four children and four grandchildren.
Jan was introduced to cross-cultural service by three of her five sisters.
Jan loves to play piano.
Jan enjoys things such as cross-stitching and oil painting.
- PhD., Linguistics, Heinrich Heine Universität, Düsseldorf, Germany, 2011
- MA., Applied linguistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1997
- MA., Communication, Trinity College, Deerfield, IL ,1993
- Diploma, Prairie Bible Institute, 1970
Professional experience and service
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Houghton College, One Willard Avenue, Houghton, NY 14744 2016-2019
- Adjunct Faculty, GIAL 2006-2016
- Instructor, Summer program SIL-UND 2004-2016
- Graduate faculty
University of North Dakota, 2016-present
- Associate instructor, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois U.S.A. 2003-2005
- Associate instructor, Alliance Graduate School, Manila, Philippines 2002-2003
- Instructor, English Language Immersion Program, SIL Asia Area, Manila, Philippines 1998-2000
- Linguistic field researcher, SIL Philippines Branch 1974-1996
- Allen, Janet L. Kankanaey: A Role and Reference Grammar Analysis. Dallas: SIL International.