Academics & Registrar FAQ

Visit our master FAQ page for questions and answers from each department. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you still cannot find the answers you need. We are here to help!

Is Dallas International accredited?

Yes, Dallas International is regionally accredited by SACSCOC. For complete information visit our accreditation page.

When do my classes start?

Specific start dates vary by program so be sure to check the Course Schedule.

How many terms are offered in an academic year?

There are two regular TERMS (16 weeks) offered in Fall and Spring.  The Fall term begins in late August and ends in mid-December. The Spring term begins in January and ends in early May.

Also, there are three shorter terms offered in May (4-week intensive courses), Summer (9 weeks—June to August), and May-Extended (13 weeks-limited course offerings).

What is an intensive course?

An intensive course requires completion of online course work in preparation for and following the intensive on-campus instructional time. For intensive course offerings visit our Online & Intensive Courses page.

Who is my academic advisor?

Your Dallas International academic advisor is listed in Campus Café under the MY INFO – Contact Information tab.  Dallas International considers the academic advising process to be an integral part of each student’s program and provides academic advisors to assist students in selecting courses each term. New students are initially assigned academic advisors and will need to have their advisors approve their schedule prior to completion of registration and payment for classes. Students can request a change of advisor through the Registrar’s Office at any time.

Who is the course instructor?

Instructor names are listed on the course schedule and in  Campus Café under the ALL USERS – Course listing tab. You can learn more about your instructor by visiting our Faculty profiles page.

How do I register for classes?

Registration is completed online using Campus Café. Registration opens March 1st for the May term, Summer term and May-Extended, and Fall terms and registration opens September 1st for the Spring term. Visit our Registration page for more information.

What are the full course load and maximum course load numbers?

Full-time Load and Maximum Course Load numbers are:

16-week term (Fall or Spring):

Full load – 12 undergraduate, 9 graduate credits, or 6 PhD-level credits

Maximum load – 18 undergraduate, 15 graduate credits, or 12 PhD-level credits.

13-week term (May-Extended):

Full load – 9 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits

Maximum load – 15 undergraduate or 12 graduate credits.

9-week term (Summer):

Full load – 6 undergraduate or 6 graduate credits

Maximum load – 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits.

4-week term (May):

Full load – 3 graduate or 3 undergraduate credits

Maximum Load – 4 undergraduate or 3 graduate credits.

Note: For F-1 visa holders on-campus employment pursuant to the terms of an assistantship at the graduate level or higher is deemed to be part of the academic program of a student and equivalent to 3 credit hours.

What is the difference between Dallas International Online and Campus Café?

Campus Café is used by students to apply, register for classes, and update their contact information.  Dallas International Online is used by students to take online courses and interact online with many of their on-campus courses.

Can I waive prerequisites?

Students may petition, on a course-by-course basis with proper documentation, to waive prerequisite(s) based on equivalent course(s) taken elsewhere. Undergraduate-level courses must have a minimum grade of C+ and graduate-level courses must have a minimum of B- to qualify for waiver.  Some courses can be waived by permission of the instructor only. Some specific courses from certain universities are pre-approved and do not require a petition. Contact your advisor if you have questions or would like to submit a petition.

How do I pay tuition and fees?

Visit our How to Pay page for complete information about paying your tuition.

What is the Drop/Add policy?

Adding Courses
Classes may only be added through the fifth term day of the 16-week term, through the third term day of the nine-week term, or second term day in the four-week term.

Dropping / Withdrawing from Courses
Students dropping a course after the 10th term day in a 16-week term, after the 6th term day in a 9-week term, or after the 3rd term day in a 4-week term will receive a grade of “W” on the DIU transcript. The time limits for withdrawal from a course are as follows:

  • Term days 11-30 of a 16-week term
  • Term days 7-15 of a nine-week term
  • Term days 4-7 of a four-week term

In most cases a student may not drop a course or withdraw from courses at Dallas International University after the aforesaid dates. Under extreme circumstances, the Dean of Academic Affairs may consider a petition to drop a course or withdraw after these dates.


‘Term day’ is counted per business day including the first day of the term.

Can I get a refund if I drop a course?

Refund for Dropping Course(s)

A student will receive a refund for any course dropped according to the following scale (calculated separately for each course):


Sixteen-Week Term

Term days 1-5                         100% tuition and fees

Term days 6-10                         75% tuition and fees

Term days 11-20                       25% tuition and fees

After term day 20                     None


Nine-Week Term

Term days 1-4                         100% tuition and fees

Term days 5-8                          75% tuition and fees

Term days 9-12                        25% tuition and fees

After term day 12                     None


Four-Week Term

Term days 1-2                         100% tuition and fees

Term days 3-4                          75% tuition and fees

Term days 5-6                          25% tuition and fees

After term day 6                       None


Dropping coursework may result in ineligibility for financial aid (if full-time enrollment is required). In that case, the student would be liable for repayment of tuition covered by scholarships. Under extraordinary circumstances, students may bring special requests for refunds to the Dean of Students for consideration.



‘Term day’ is counted per business day including the first day of the term.

What textbooks do I need?

  1. Log into
  2. Click on the link located near the top of the Campus Café Home Page screen.
  3. This will link you to the Dallas International textbook listing for the upcoming term.  Be sure to purchase the correct edition of each required textbook.

NOTE:  Dallas International does not have a bookstore so you will need to purchase these textbooks online before your classes begin.

Where can I buy textbooks?

Where can I buy textbooks?

Dallas International does not own or operate a bookstore. You will need to buy your textbooks online. You may use the big vendors or try which searches multiple online bookstores.

Another option: The Dallas International Student Body Association maintains a website ( for students to sell, buy, lend, and borrow textbooks.

What textbooks do I need?

How do I audit a course?

In order to audit a course, an Audit Permission Form must be approved by the course head / instructor and be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.  Courses taken for audit must be at the student’s current program level or lower, and all prerequisites for an audited course must be completed. The course head will determine the course requirements for each auditor. Auditors must be admitted to DIU and comply with DIU standards.

Audited courses do not qualify for financial aid. Audited courses do not have academic credit. Tuition rates and fees as defined in the current catalog apply to students not enrolled in an academic program. Students currently enrolled in an academic program or alumni who have completed an academic program only pay fees.

Dallas Int’l faculty: Dallas Int’l faculty are allowed to “sit in” on a class with the Department Chair’s recommendation and the approval of the course head, when such action is for the benefit of the institution. No tuition or fees will apply.

Changes from audit status to credit or vice versa may be made only with the signed permission of the instructor on the Student Change Permit and must be made no later than the end of the 5th term day in a 16-week term, the end of the 3rd term day in a 9-week term, or the end of the 2nd term day in a 4-week term.

What is Dallas International’s attendance policy?

Attendance is monitored for enrolled students in all courses. Students must be present for a minimum of 80% of their scheduled classes, and any student missing five consecutive days without a reasonable excuse is in violation of the attendance policy. Faculty may assign a portion of the grade in their course as an attendance grade. Dallas International is required to report attendance policy violations for International students and students receiving federally-funded assistance.

How do I request a transcript?

Visit our Transcript Request page for information on how to request a transcript.

Is admission to Dallas International the same as admission to a degree program?

No. Students need an approved Intended Plan of Study (IPS) to be admitted to a Dallas International degree program. Students should complete an Intended Plan of Study form with the help of their advisor and then submit the IPS to the appropriate department for approval. The IPS should normally be completed by the end of the student’s first semester. Find the IPS forms on our Academic Forms page.

What is an Intended Plan of Study (IPS)?

The Intended Plan of Study (IPS) documents a student’s degree and concentration choice and identifies the terms required course work will be completed to graduate at the designated date chosen. Students intending to complete a graduate degree program must have Graduate admission status and submit an approved Intended Plan of Study form. Students intending to complete a BA degree at Dallas International will complete, with the help of his/her academic advisor. The Intended Plan of Study should normally be completed by the end of a student’s first semester. Visit our Academic Forms page to download the IPS for your program.

How long would it take to finish an MA degree?

Taking a full-time load, a student can usually complete a degree in three terms. An additional term may be necessary if the student has not completed the prerequisite courses before coming to Dallas International. The undergraduate prerequisite courses are offered as part of the Certificate in Applied Linguistics.

Can I transfer courses for the MA programs?

Dallas International reserves the right to make final determination of transfer credit acceptability. The student must petition to transfer credit for any coursework to be considered as part of a Dallas International graduate program of study (up to a maximum of 15 graduate credit hours and which have a minimum grade of “B”).  Courses submitted for transfer credit must have been completed no more than 10 years before completion of the Dallas International graduate program. Transferred credits must explicitly list the Dallas International course for which they are being accepted. Transfer credit is accepted only from regionally accredited institutions of higher education or from institutions accredited by the American Theological Society (ATS) or the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). (See the current Dallas International Catalog for full details)

For transferring credits from foreign institutions, please refer to the instructions in the transcript section of the graduate admission requirements in addition to the transfer instructions in the Dallas International Catalog:

Do I really have 10 years to complete my MA degree?

Yes. The MA degree must be completed within 10 years of the date when the first graduate course applied to the degree was taken. If the MA degree is not finished at that time, any credits over 10 years old are lost. The lost credit hours must be replaced.

What are comprehensive exams?

Comprehensive exams (Comps) are taken near the end of a student’s MA studies. Comps cover subject matter in the student’s major concentration, and are an opportunity for the student to demonstrate mastery of that material. The format of the examinations differs somewhat between the departments, although the function is the same. The examinations are scheduled two to five weeks before the end of the term.  See the Academic Calendar for specific dates. Students that choose to write a thesis do not take comprehensive exams.

Do I have to write a thesis?

No. A graduate student has the option of choosing the Thesis or Non-thesis (comprehensive exam) option for all graduate degrees offered at Dallas International. The undergraduate degree does not require a thesis or comprehensive exam.

How do I transfer undergraduate semester hours (ush) for the BA program?

Students should complete the Petition to Transfer General Education Credits form.  Visit our Undergraduate Transfer Policy page for more information.

Where is Language Development (LD)?

The Language Development Department (LD) is now the Applied Anthropology Department (AA). The MA in Language Development is now an MA in Language and Culture Studies. Courses that started with LD in the past now start with AA.